Global Grandmothers Criteria for Charities
- Our recommended charities all have 4 Star ratings from Charity Navigator (www.charitynavigator.org) when first selected. However, after careful review, GG may continue to list a charity when subsequent ratings fall below 4 stars as long as the charity’s accountability and transparency ratings continue at the highest level.
- Our recommended charities appear on at least one of the following charity watchdog sites and receive positive ratings:
- Charity Watch – www.charitywatch.org
- Guide Star – www.guidestar.org
- Wise Giving – www.give.org , an arm of the Better Business Bureau
These organizations assess the quality of non-profit organizations based on their transparency to the public and their financial, fundraising, and administrative procedures.
- Our recommended charities also have been filtered through Great Nonprofits – www.greatnonprofits.org – a social networking website where reviews are posted but no criteria for recommendation have been standardized.
- In addition, we consult GiveWell – www.givewell.org – for the in-depth evaluations of a few charities.
All charities are evaluated annually or as additional information warrants.
We recognize that you may wish to give to charities of your own choice to fulfill your Global Grandmothers commitment and that many charities are too small to be evaluated. However, we hope that you will review all charities to establish their transparency and effectiveness. The websites listed above offer good tools for that purpose. These websites also appear, with more information, on our Resources: Charity Watchdogs page.